Well, Jack is sick. Yep, on his birthday. He came down with a low-grade fever yesterday afternoon and woke up with it again this morning. So I kept him home from daycare for a day with mama. But a day at home with mama on your birthday seems appropriate, right? Just as long as it doesn’t involve sickness…blah!
But Jack’s a trooper. Ever since he was born I feel like he’s handled challenges well and always seems to adapt to what’s new or what’s next. This is his first fever and it doesn’t seem to phase him too much. He’s a little more whiny than normal and eating less, but still wanting to play, smile and laugh with his sister Ally.
So Jack is officially ONE! Wow, that year went fast! It’s hard to believe he’s not really a baby anymore. Drinking from a sippy cup, eating mostly “adult” foods and even walking! But he still has his baby chunk and rolls, and I’m going to snoogle them as long as I can!
Check out these rolls. Here’s Jack at six months.
And here’s a few fun facts about our one-year old Jack:
1. He’s LOUD! His daycare sitter Miss Delaine first made us aware of his loudness when she called him bossy. He knows when to call out when he wants something, and he knows how to make noises with Ally.
2. He’s a BIG boy! Jack has been at the top of the charts for both height and weight. Most recently, he was in the 97th percentile for height and 95th for weight! He’s also starting to wear 24-month clothes. Goodness!
3. He has six teeth. And for the longest time, he had a snaggle tooth kind of look going on.
4. Just like Ally’s appetite decreased at a year, so has Jack’s. He used to gobble down bowls of baby food, but over the past couple of weeks, he’s eating more and more like a bird. His favorites (for right now, I’m sure they’ll be different tomorrow), seem to be hot dogs, oranges and squeezable fruit pouches.
5. He loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse! When that hot dog song comes on, he comes crawling quickly! He just sits and smiles and “dances” to that show…and that’s how we’ll decorate for his birthday party tomorrow.
6. He’s started saying “dada” and seems to know it means Daddy.
7. He’s walking! Ally walked at 11 months and I really didn’t think it would happen for Jack until after he turned one. But he’s really taken off this past week and is crawling less and less.
8. I have had a million different nicknames for him. Buster Magoo was first, then there was Mr. Moo (Ally especially seemed to like that one) and Jack-a-rooni. Right now I mostly call him “Zoo-Zoo.” Don’t ask me how that came about, ha!
9. I think Jack looks best in blue, green, grey and black. Also plaid.
10. He gets so excited when Brian walks in the door from work and he loves watching Ally play, and playing with her! He really is a joyful boy…unless it’s close to bedtime. Then he can be a bear.
Now for a look at Jack through his first year!! ENJOY the baby cute-ness.
First official picture as a family of four! The day after Jack was born…
Ally really does take such good care of her little brother. Always letting us know if he’s getting into trouble and even willing to throw away his dirty diapers! She’s also pretty frequent with her sister squeezes and kisses.
Some of Jack’s first days at home…
Official newborn portraits…
One month old and smiling!
Two months old:
Three months old:
“Fat and Happy”
Four months old:
Five months old:
Six months old:
Oh gosh! That old man hair!
Seven months old (and his first tie dye piece!):
Eight months old (and yes, he tried eating the leaves):
Nine months old:
He totally looks like me here!
Ten months old:
Eleven months old (and getting harder to photograph!):
ONE YEAR OLD!
I can’t wait to take you to Dairy Queen later for a special birthday treat and celebrate YOU tomorrow with family and cupcakes. I love being your mama, Jack William, and I cannot wait to watch the little boy you grow into. I LOVE YOU…and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!